Sunday, August 2, 2009

Web Design...Is it easy to do any computer jobs from home? If so, what should I go back to school for?

I need to work from home. Anyone have any ideas? I need to freelance, because some days I cannot do anything. (I have some health problems)


I was wondering about Web or Graphic Design, but I don't know.

Web Design...Is it easy to do any computer jobs from home? If so, what should I go back to school for?
You could perform web development work from home, or from anywhere that you have an Internet connection (I'm a web developer and I usually work at home, today I'm in Montreal which is 6000 miles from home and I'm working right now!).





You will require skills in HTML and PHP, you should also be familiar with CSS and some database knowledge (MySQL) wouldn't hurt. You also need to know about the business side of things, marketing and SEO (search engine optimization). You'll need to know how to use text editors and FTP programs,as well as graphics tools. And you will need to know the process for registering Domain Names and working with web servers.





Keeping abreast of changes is essential, there are many good forums that will allow you to interact with others in your field (this can be valuable when you work at home,as you will lack the contact with your peers that you would have in an office environment). You can also subscribe to several newsletters.





I suggest that if you're serious that you learn all that you can and then develop a few sites of your own - you could monetize them with affiliate programs and AdSense so that they make a profit. You could then use those sites as a showcase or portfolio, which is invaluable when soliciting clients.





I wish you the best of luck in achieving your goals!
Reply:Well to learn more. Also it widens your horizon. And just in case if things do not work out you might need a degree for help.


No comments:

Post a Comment