Friday, May 21, 2010

Which one is easier to get a job; Associate Degree in Accounting or Associate Degree in Web Design? Why?

I'm major in accounting right now, but I found out it is pretty boring. I thought it was interesting, but it is boring. Maybe the teacher or the motivation. Also, I found out that in order to get a job in accounting, you must have at least a Bachelor degree and some experience.


I want to change my major to web design, but I would waste more time and money because I have taken accounting and all pre-requisite courses. I think web design is interesting because I always wonder how they created an awesome websites. I don't know about the job prospect. I want your honest opinion, which one is easier to get a job; associate degree in accounting or associate degree in web design? Thank you.

Which one is easier to get a job; Associate Degree in Accounting or Associate Degree in Web Design? Why?
look at the classifieds online in your area, that will help you decide, but personally i believe the accounting will be most helpful in finding sufficient employment that can pay back your financial aid when you graduate. web design is something that millions and millions of people do now and the demand is no where near as high as accounting experience is and it can help you get just about most office jobs web design can only get you one thing web design :D
Reply:I think an accounting gig would be much easier to find than web design. The web design industry is innundated with designers now. Also, I have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting that I have never used practically. By that I mean, I have never had an accounting job, but I have working in business, primarily sales, marketing, and business development. I have found that the Accounting background was very helpful and I use a lot of the principles in my business life. So, just because you are studying it now doesn't mean you will be bookkeeping the rest of your life, but it is a nice skill set to have in other jobs and it is a very attractive degree to potential employers.





Also (as a former executive recruiter) I would suggest you try and go the extra two years and get your Bachelor's Degree. With the amount of people that are getting 4 year degrees these days, it is becoming increasingly difficult to get the best jobs with only an Associate's Degree. As far as the money speant on education goes, it is the best investment you will ever make in your life. And, short of spending money on a lottery ticket and winning, you will never get more money back from money you spend than on your degree. With a 4 year degree, I got a really good job right out of college and was making $100,000 per year by the time I was 28, and paying back the loans for college was very easy at that income levels. (Also, the interest you pay on you student loan is tax deductible) I truely believe that getting my 4 year put me in a position to make the kind of money I'm making now, and allows me to have a very comfortable lifestyle.


No comments:

Post a Comment